Tampa Junior Theatre Festival
Saturday May 16 | 1-6PM
with slots every 5 minutes
TAMPA JR. THEATRE FESTIVAL | Show On The Road
Tampa Junior Festival
As the pandemic has proceeded, we feel that students in the Tampa Bay Area who are of late elementary and early middle school have been directly impacted, as their opportunities to participate in school and community musicals and other performance opportunities has been virtual this year or limited.
We would like to provide a safe, individual, and in-person activity for students ages 9-14 to receive feedback from theatre professionals, regardless of which school, theatre or studio they attend.
We want to provide an opportunity that is not a product of any one school or theatre but brings together professionals from many different aspects of the rich theatre culture in Tampa Bay to give students feedback on monologues and solo musicals, which we feel is appropriate and safe given the current circumstances.
Our goal with this event is to give students direct and detailed feedback on monologues and solo musical theatre pieces - and have fun doing it! Students from various schools, theatres and studios will come together to perform and learn from each other in a safe and socially distanced manner to perform in front of our panel.
All participants can choose a single slot to enter in a monologue or solo musical theatre category. They will perform it in a five minute time-slot at Richey Suncoast Theatre in front of a panel of three theatre professionals who will be given a rubric and will assign both numerical scores and individual feedback on their performance.
For more information - see the F.A.Q guidelines below.
Venue: Richey Suncoast Theatre | 6237 Grand Blvd, New Port Richey, FL 34652
Tampa JR. Theatre Festival Needs to Know
• Give students direct and detailed feedback on monologues and solo musical theatre pieces
• Bring students from various schools, theatres and studios together
• Provide a safe and socially distanced opportunity for students to perform
• Students will enter in a monologue or solo musical theatre category
• They will perform it in a five minute time-slot at Richey Suncoast Theatre in front of a panel of three theatre professionals
• The three theatre professionals will be given a rubric and will assign both numerical scores and individual feedback on their performance.
1. Students will register online for a specific time slot (one per monologue or song) and submit their music, if applicable.
2. The student and one adult guardian will arrive in the lobby for Richey Suncoast Theatre (RST) 10 minutes before their time slot, which will be set up to accommodate socially distant chairs. Attendant 2 will take their temperatures upon arrival and record.
3. When it is time for their appointment, Attendant 1 will bring them from the lobby, walk through the house and up on to the stage.
4. The student will slate and perform their piece, with a sound technician from RST playing the music if necessary.
5. The judges will be socially-distanced from each other and seated in the balcony of the theatre. They will be provided with a online template which includes both numerical scores and individual feedback.
6. The student will exit via the house right door, at which point Attendant 1will bring in the next student.
7. The feedback will be emailed to the student within a week of the event.
1. There will only be one student and one parent allowed per time slot.
2. Staff at RST will be limited to those absolutely necessary to run the event.
3. Although pieces are not allowed to be more than two minutes in length, students will be given a five minute time slot to allow for time to enter and exit.
4. There will be no more than three families allowed in the lobby at a time and chairs will be placed socially distant from each other.
5. Attendant 2 will take temperatures upon arrival and record. Anyone with a temperature exceeding 100.4 degrees will not be allowed in the building.
6. Adjudicators will be socially distanced from each other and seated in the balcony of the theatre as to be socially distanced from the participant.
7. Masks will be worn at ALL TIMES, with the exception of the student performer, only when they are on stage and therefore socially distanced from all other students and staff.
8. Cleaning will be done of all door handles and contact areas in between families and hand sanitizer provided.
9. The event will be recorded for individuals to watch after the event.
1. The adjudicators will be highly qualified theatre arts professionals who are active in the Tampa Bay Area, but not solely associated with any one children’s theatre, school or studio.
2. The attendants and sound technician will also be theatre knowledgeable and skilled at running large scale events, with detail to COVID-precautions.
1. Everyone must wear masks at all times, except for the student when they are performing.
2. Registration must be completed ahead of time and online, as a COVID precaution.
3. Please see COVID precaution section for details.
4. Music for musical theatre category must be uploaded ahead of time. No acapella numbers are accepted and no music will be accepted after the time of registration. Musical Theatre entries may be no longer than 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
5. Props may be used, however costumes are strongly discouraged.
6. Choreography may be included in the musical theatre category, however it must be at least 60% vocals.
7. Monologues may not exceed 2 minutes.
8. All students will slate in the following manner: My name is BLANK, I am BLANK years old, I attend BLANK SCHOOL OR STUDIO and I’ll be doing/performing a song/monologue from BLANK, at which time the sound technician will start the clock.
9. Studios/Schools/Community Theatres may contact (813)943-2695 directly to schedule a time block for multiple students and for detailed COVID precautions for groups.
Sunday, May 16 2021
1pm-6pm (with slots every 5 minutes)
Richey Suncoast Theatre
6237 Grand Blvd, New Port Richey, FL 34652
Students music will be played via a Bluetooth speaker provided by RST.
All communication and score sheets will be sent to students via email.
Each time slot is $10. Students should register for one time slot PER entry. They can enter up to three entries.
Studios, theatres and schools who are registering multiple students should call (813) 943-2695 for a streamlined registration process.
We look forward to the opportunity to share this experience with students and make connections across schools, theatres and studios. We appreciate your support in extending this opportunity to students to continue learning, growing and evolving as young thespians.
Show on the Road, Artistic Director